Yes. It is important to be aware of all your policy inclusions and exclusions. Some common exclusions are:
- Pre-existing diseases – these have a lock-in period of 2-4 years before coverage is effective and must be disclosed at the time of taking the policy.
- Lifestyle related diseases from substance abuse unless otherwise specified while applying
- Alternative treatments such as Ayurveda, Unani, naturopathy, although some insurers do offer cover for these
- Exclusions that have waiting period of 1-3 months from date of policy inception and these include specific diseases during the policy’s first year.
- Pregnancy and childbirth-related expenses, abortions, infertility treatments.
- Cosmetic treatments such as eyecare, laser treatment, liposuction surgery, weight loss treatment, dental treatments and plastic surgery unless it is an outcome of an accident.
- Certain hospital related expenses such as second opinion fees, consultations and similar costs.
- War/nuclear weapon-related damage Depending on the insurer, terms could vary from year to year.